Visit the Lincoln Green by Design website:
Lincoln Green by Design
The Joslyn Institute for Sustainable Communities was a founding member of Lincoln Green by Design, whose mission it is to bring together individuals, businesses, non-profits and government agencies to promote a sustainable Lincoln and Lancaster County. LGbD works to promote smart growth and environmental stewardship in a public and private partnership.
The LGbD Partnership has been successful in bringing together, in monthly meetings, a number of the key organizations and individuals with strategic interests in the “greening” of the built environment. The challenges of creating a new focus on public and private elements of a municipal green building program for the City of Lincoln are many, with diverse elements and interests.
In a few short months the LGbD Partnership, working as a single entity with the Joslyn Institute for Sustainable Communities, has staged three local green building programs, conducted a regional conference on Building Resource Efficient Communities, and collaborated with the parallel creation of the similar Green Omaha Coalition.
Now, as a means to focus the partnership’s efforts on the information, research and marketing needs of essential sectors of the Lincoln community, we propose to expand the partnership and to create special focus, or task groups around the following sectors:
Building & Design
Economics & Finance
Planning & Development
Among the goals of Lincoln Green by Design are:
- Facilitating the creation of a self-sustaining municipal green building and design program that will index, measure, and reduce city/county energy consumption patterns and dramatically reduce its carbon footprint.
- Collaborating with the Mayor’s Environmental Advisory Committee to support common, priority green projects for the City of Lincoln.
- Working to adhere to the 2006 U.S. Conference of Mayors resolution on Green Building and Energy and Environmental Challenges.
- Developing incentives and recognition programs to promote long-term sustainable development.
- Evaluating existing codes, ordinances, and regulations for sustainability barriers.
- Implementing a system of public policies, standards, measures of performance, and quality controls that foster sustainable development.
- Creating a public resource and educational center for information and leadership for the long-term sustainability of Lincoln and Lancaster County.
To learn more about Lincoln Green by Design, please visit the website: www.lincolngreenbydesign.com.